School-Based Tutoring Programs
AERO SCHOOL-BASED TUTORING
Dan L Duncan Reading Initiative
During the school year, AERO provides intervention to students who are at-risk for or who are experiencing reading and math difficulties, as well as enrichment programs for students with grade level academic skills. We currently serve children in grades PreK-8th in English and Grades K-3 in Spanish and 1st -5th Math. All programs are evidence-based and have been identified as effective approaches to reading and math instruction. Based on assessment results and needs, an individualized instructional plan is implemented.
AERO Reading Program
For over a decade, AERO has been helping students reach their academic potential. Our research-validated programs help build the skills necessary for academic success. Our lessons are designed specifically for each child based on norm-referenced and criterion-based assessments.
English Reading Program Placement:
- Sound Building Levels I/II - Less than 80 percent on either letter or sound identification and reading less than 10 words correct per minute on a grade 1 story.
- Early Reading Level I- 80-100 percent on both letter and sound identification and reading less than 60 words correct per minute on a grade 1 story.
- Early Reading Level II- 80-100 percent on both letter and sound identification and reading 60-89 words correct per minute on a grade 2 story.
- Fluency and Comprehension Level– Reading at least 90 words correct per minute on a grade 2 story but still developing in word attack, fluency, and comprehension.
- Multisyllabic Word Reading and Rate Development Level– Reading at or above 90 words correct per minute on a grade 2 story or higher but still developing in reading fluency and reading comprehension.
|Level||Phonemic Awareness||Phonics||Word Recognition and Spelling||Vocabulary and Fluency||Listening and Reading Comprehension|
|Early Reading Level 1||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔|
|Early Reading Level 2||✔||✔||✔||✔|
|Fluency and Comprehension||✔||✔||✔|
|Multisyllabic Word Reading and Rate Development||✔||✔||✔|
Spanish Program Placement:
- Método Fonológico A & B – Identificaciٕón del sonido o nombre de las letras al 80% y lee menos de 10 palabras correctamente por minuto.
- Lectura Temprana Nivel 1 – Identificación del sonido y nombre de las letras al 80%-100% y lee un mínimo de 60 palabras correctamente por minuto en una lectura de grado 1.
- Fluidez y Comprensión Lectora – Lee un mínimo de 60 palabras correctamente por minuto en una lectura correspondiente al grado de instrucción del alumno. Decodificación avanzada de palabras, fluidez, vocabulario, y comprensión.
- Sound Building Levels A & B - Less than 80 percent on either letter or sound identification and reading less than 10 words correct per minute on a grade 1 story.
- Early Reading Level I - 80-100 percent on both letter and sound identification and reading less than 60 words correct per minute on a grade 1 story.
- Fluency and Comprehension Level – Reading at least 60 words correct per minute on the students grade level story but still developing in word attack, vocabulary, fluency, and comprehension.
AERO Math Program
We offer low tutor-to-student ratios for first and fifth grades. Our intervention programs are evidence based and have been identified as effective approaches to math instruction. Based on each child’s individual needs, an individualized instructional plan will be implemented in a variety of areas.
Mathematics Program Placement:
- Math Essentials Level A – For students working at a grade 1 and 2 level
- Math Essentials Level B – For students working at a grade 3 and 4 level
- Math Essentials Level C – For students working at a grade 5 and 6 level
Instructional Plan Areas
|Numbers and Operations||Algebraic Reasoning||Geometry and Measurement||Data Analysis|
|Whole Numbers||Number Patterns||Two-Dimensional Shapes||Organize Data|
|Number Magnitude||Word Problems||Three-Dimensional Objects||Interpret Information|
|Base-10 Place Value System||Algebraic Equations||Length/Time||Problem Solving|
|Addition/Subtraction||Algebraic Expressions||Classification||Summarize Data Sets|
|Coins/Values||Standard/Metric Measurement||Collecting, Organizing, Displaying, and Interpreting Data|
More information (click each name to view staff info)
I want to share my family’s experiences with AERO Programs and team. My son attends a private school in the Houston area. He is 10 years old and dyslexic. He was struggling with comprehension and confidence in the classroom. His school provided tutoring but it was not individualized to his needs and progress. His tutor was always negative about his improvement and future. I heard about the AERO program through word-of-mouth and I saw kids in THAT program and with THAT tutoring doing well at the school. The AERO team started tutoring him at his school that same semester and his progress was exponential.
We are definitely continuing with the school tutoring program! Because of his school improvement, we also participate in the AERO summer reading sessions. This was his second summer, where the tutors greet him with a smile and somehow create a summer intensive 2 hour daily session that he doesn’t mind attending. He’s happy when I drop him off and happy when I pick him up. I believe that describes a pretty successful summer reading program by any definition. On a personal level, the tutors and staff are consistently responsive and positive to give us both the encouragement to understand and succeed with learning differences.
“My name is Amal, and my 11-year-old son Marlan was diagnosed with ADHD and dyslexia a few years ago. He had difficulty succeeding in school from an early age; learning posed a tremendous challenge for him.
Marlan entered fourth grade at a second grade reading level. He didn't want to read and told me it was just too hard for him. Eventually, he stopped trying. His inability to read like his peers hurt his self-esteem.
I will forever remember a moment that happened three months after starting the program. I gave Marlan a book of stories to read, emotionally preparing myself for his resistance—but this time, he was happy to read! I was so excited to listen to my boy who, for the first time in his life, really knew how to read! It brought me to tears of joy.
Your program has changed Marlan's life—and the lives of everyone in our family—forever. Thank you, from the bottom of our hearts.”
-Amal and Family
Our Advisory Panel consists of UTHealth educators, physicians, and psychologists. Our panel provides expert consultation on assessment and research on best practices for interventions for children with learning problems. See the research tab of the CLI webpage for more information on past and current research and research to practice programs directed by our panel.
For more information, contact: AERO@uth.tmc.edu